About the branch
Culver City Library was established April 1, 1915 in the new Pacific Electric Railroad Depot. The library moved to various locations throughout the city as it grew in size over the years. The library has been in its present location since 1970. The Japanese Garden in front of the library was a gift from Kaizuka, Japan, a sister city of the city of Culver City in 1974.
In January 2001, the Culver City Library was renamed the Culver City Julian Dixon Library by the Board of Supervisors in recognition of Julian Dixon, the representative for the 32nd United States Congressional District. The Honorable Julian Dixon, who passed away on December 8, 2000, spent many of his years in public service working closely with educational institutions and libraries that positively impact the lives of children.