About the branch
Montebello Library was established in January 1914 and was first located in the local newspaper office. In 1916 the library moved to the local post office. In 1924 the library moved to its first separate building.
Montebello was the first city in the county to build a library with funds raised by a bond issue ($30,000). The building was erected in July 1930 at 115 So. Taylor Avenue. It served the community for 36 years before the library's current building was dedicated on October 20th, 1966.