About the branch
Lynwood Library was established in May 1915. It began as a volunteer library, but soon joined the Los Angeles County Public Library System. From a small club-house room on Long Beach Boulevard, the library was moved in 1917 to a storeroom at the corner of Long Beach Boulevard and Fernwood Avenue, then to Elmwood Avenue, from 1918-24. From 1924 to 1956, the library was housed in the old building on Sanborn Avenue.
In 1956, a new structure was built in the Civic Center to house this fast-growing County Library facility. During the next decade, the library patronage again outgrew the library building.
In 1977, a new library at the present location opened for service. The library was refurbished in the fall of 2004.