About the branch
Library service to the Florence community began in 1914 as a collection of 125 titles housed in the home of Fred W. Cleland at 1920 E. Florence Avenue, with Mrs. Maude Cleland as the volunteer custodian of the collection. On June 30, 1915, the collection of 508 books was moved to the Florence Avenue Elementary School.
In 1920, the collection of 1,000 books and 11 magazine subscriptions was moved into a building with a converted stable at 7607 Crocket Boulevard. In 1924, the library was housed at 7215 Beach Boulevard and was again moved in 1931/32 to a storefront building at the corner of Makee Street and Florence Avenue. This storefront facility was refurbished in 1964 for the 50th anniversary of the Florence Library.
In 1970, the library was moved to the current location. The Library was refurbished beginning December 2001 and reopened May 2002.