About the branch
The first library in Lawndale - one of the earliest branches of the County of Los Angeles Public Library - opened December 26, 1913 at the corner of Railroad Ave. and Market St. (now Hawthorne Blvd. and 147th St.).
The current Lawndale Library opened to great fanfare March 18, 2009 after 52 years of serving the community in a 3500 sq. ft. building next door.
The new building features a glass artwork, Subdivisions, by Anne Marie Karlsen.