About the branch
Manhattan Beach Library was started as a subscription library in 1910 by the Neptunian Women's Club of Manhattan Beach.
The library became part of LA County Library in January 1915, making it one of the oldest continuing libraries in the county system. The library moved into a separate building in 1957 and to its current location in 1975. In 2013, construction began on a new more modern building that would meet the needs of the 35,000 residents in the 3.87 square mile community.
On May 1, 2015 the new 21,500 square foot building designed by architectural firm Johnson Favaro opened. It features a two-story modern design with panoramic ocean views, an interactive children's exhibit, fireplace, automated materials handling system, and self-check machines