About the branch
n the late 1940's residents of this community organized the Sorensen Park and Recreation Association. Their efforts, in part, led to the founding of a library within the Sorensen Park area.
Dedicated in 1956, it was seen at the time as the first step in a project that would provide a library three times its initial size of 1,048 square feet. The library never was expanded, partly due to budget constraints.
In November of 1992, Sorensen was one of ten County libraries closed in response to State property tax shifts. All materials and equipment were removed to fill pressing needs at other libraries. Happily, in January of 1996, Sorensen was re-opened with funds available through the Community Services District #8. This necessitated completely re-equipping the facility and rebuilding the collection.
In November 2008, Sorensen Library closed once again so a new facility could be built. The new building opened October 1, 2010, and at 10,655 sq. ft., the new building is ten times the size of the former library.
The new Sorensen Library is the County Library's first green library. Meeting the LEED Gold rating, the library is part of the County's Sustainable Design Implementation program, featuring extensive natural/solar lighting, drought resistant landscaping, local building materials and more.