About the branch
South Whittier Library was founded in 1915. The library's first location was in a one-room schoolhouse. South Whittier's first separate built-as-a-library building was dedicated on April 16, 1956.
After 16 years at that location on Laurel Avenue, the library moved to 14433 Leffingwell Road. The library closed for renovations in January 1988 and a newly remodeled library opened on October 1988. After 44 years the library helped its last customer on October 22, 2016.
As part of Los Angeles County's Fourth District Operation Libraries, construction on a new library began in July 2015. On November 21, 2016 the new 14,411 square foot building at 11543 Colima Road opened for service